Thursday, February 23, 2012

Rules Are Made To Be Broken.

My goal last night was to run for 20:00 minutes, and at a 10:00/mile pace that would be two miles - I ended up running 2.1 miles in 19:30, which translates to a 9:17 pace.  This is not horrible, but it's still a little bit too fast for my liking.  The good part, though, is that I recognized that I was going too fast, and I corrected it.  There were some 8:xx miles popping up on the Garmin, and I made my myself slow my roll.  In the past, I would've been like, "well I feel fine so I'll just keep doing this."  So yeah, I broke the rules, technically, but I'm letting myself off the hook with just a stern talking-to this time.


My leg felt fine during the run, stress-fracture wise.  My (basically) non-existent inner thigh muscles were not so happy, however.  I did a ridiculoussssss kettlebell workout on Tuesday, and I was feeling it today.  Now that I think about it, that means I broke another rule - no CrossFit as cross-training.  It wasn't meant to be CrossFit though; I just borrowed the idea from there, and I didn't do any of the usual CrossFit craziness like combining a ridiculous amount of kettlebells with a ridiculous amount of burpees plus a ridiculous amount of pullups and a ridiculous amount of deadlifts as fast I could.  (Can you tell I'm a lawyer?  I'm an expert at making up rules and then figuring out ways to get out of following them.)


It was a really fun workout, actually, and I highly recommend that you get a kettlebell if you don't already have one.  It's a great combo of cardio and strength training, and there are tons of different moves you can do.





I used a 25lb kettlebell and this is what I did:


20 swings
30 goblet squats
20 clean and press (each arm)
30 woodchoppers (15/side) --> Full disclosure: I had to switch to 10 lb dumbbells for these beasts
20 windmills (10/side) --> Same
30 Turkish getups (each arm)
20 swings
(10-15 seconds of rest between exercises)


*Now, because I am a lawyer, I must tell you - this is just what I do, not necessarily what I think YOU should do.  I'm not a trainer; I'm not a coach; I'm not a doctor, so please consult at least one of those people before you try any of these exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment