Monday, December 31, 2012

Hello, 2013.

Back in January, I set some goals for myself for the year.  Before making new goals for 2013, I thought I should recap how this year's turned out:

1. Run sub-2 hours at my half in March.  (Done, just a little late.  I ended up injured and not running that half.  I signed up for a replacement race in the mountains in May, and finally went sub-2 on my second attempt in October.)

2.  Finish a marathon.  (Not done.  Finishing a marathon is reason that I started running again, but it quickly became apparent that taking some time to work up to it would be prudent.  Hold this one over to 2013.)

3.  Do a pull up.  (Not done.  This was a CrossFit goal, but I haven't been back since January.  I was close at the time, but I'm sure it's not doable for me anymore, and it's not something I really care about anymore either.)

4.  Eat more veggies.  (Done, but I'll come back to this one in a minute.)

5.  Travel to 3 new places.  (Not done.  So lame of me, but I can only think of 2 news places that we went this year - Tybee Island and Denmark [to be clear - that's Denmark, SC].  We had tons of weddings which were awesome, but definitely ate into our travel budget and time off.  This one is also going to be held over to 2013, and I think it will be more successful.)

So, let's talk about that "eat more veggies" issue.  About a month ago, I decided to eat strictly vegetarian (meaning no fish or shrimp either).  I really hadn't been eating a ton of meat anyway, but it is very important to J, so it's been an interesting transition in that we basically don't eat the same dinners anymore.  So far we've been pretty good about at least still sitting down to eat at the same time, and I think that's really the most important thing.  Moving to a vegetarian diet is something that I had been thinking about for a long time (because of ethical and environmental concerns), and after my mom's cancer came back, the idea that there might be a link between animal protein and cancer was the final straw. (SN: I'm not a doctor/scientist/nutritionist; don't listen to me.  Go do your own reading and research and draw your own conclusions.)  I was concerned at first about whether it would affect my running/work outs, but so far, so good.

On to 2013 then.  Here are my goals:

1. Finish a marathon. I'm thinking hard about Chicago.  We'll see.

2. Travel to 3 new places.  Nashville still needs to happen, and I'm likely going to Anaheim for work in April, so that would be 2 of 3.  

3. PR in the half marathon.  I'm not sure it's possible in March, but assuming all goes according to plan, there will be at least one other attempt this year.

4. Run at least 2 trail races.  I loved my first trail experience, and I'd like to keep it up in the new year.

5. Post on this blog more regularly.  Right now I'm averaging a shameful one post per week.  I need to step it up.

Do you make goals/resolutions every year?  What are they?




1 comment:

  1. Those are solid goals! And I will add that we need to figure out a way to do the same race this year :) Also, I am looking forward to reading more posts from you!!

    ReplyDelete