Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving Recap

I've been in Florida with my family since Tuesday night, so the idea that I'm going to have to go to work tomorrow for a whole week is not my favorite thing ever.  

However, I am really grateful to have had so much time at home with my parents.  I alluded to it in a post a few weeks ago, but my family is dealing with a lot of bad news right now.  The biggest crisis is that my mom was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in her bones and liver about a month ago.  She was originally diagnosed when I was in college and had been in remission since then.  She's getting chemo again and is feeling ok right now, so that was a huge blessing for our time together this week.  It was hard to leave today, but we'll be back together with them for Christmas in just a few weeks.  In the meantime, I had 5 great days hanging out with her and my dad (with special guest appearances by my brother, J, and my grandparents), so that's the number one thing I was thankful for this Thanksgiving.

 J and I had been planning to be in Columbia this year, and I had signed us up for a Turkey Trot here, but I needed to be in Florida, so we changed our plans.  (I guess that makes my second DNS this month.  Woops!)   Last year, my dad, J, and I ran the Subaru Distance Classic in Jax on Thanksgiving morning.  Given everything that was going on this year, no one seriously contemplated doing that again.  Dad and I went on our own little 5k trail run near the house instead.  We took the pups with us and did about 3 miles.  I got to test out my new trail shoes, burned enough calories to account for like 1/16 of what I ate later, and the dogs were worn out for a few hours while I cooked.  Win-win-win.

Since my mom got her chemo dose on Wednesday (a 9 hour ordeal), I put myself in charge of planning and executing Thanksgiving dinner.  I recruited my Gran to make the turkey and the green beans, but everything else was my handiwork.  Or really, the handiwork of The Pioneer Woman and Cooking Light magazine.  I don't think I can really take credit for just following recipes.  (Apple pie not pictured because it was devoured, but it was awesome.  You should definitely make it.)  I did most of the prep on Wednesday, so all Gran and I had to do was coordinate when the different items needed to go in the oven on Thursday.  It was actually harder than I thought, but eventually dinner was ready, and no one went hungry.

{Plate #1 of 2... that day.}

We also managed to sneak in a few minutes to take Christmas card pictures.  I will show y'all what the cards look like when they come in, but this is the picture my mom ended up using on hers.  With a little cropping, it's definitely a framer.

{J, Me, Dad and Mom, Bro and his GF, plus Charlie, Shellie, and Penny}

My dad, unbelievably, got up at like 6:30am on Friday morning to go shopping.  If you know my dad, you know this is basically the most shocking thing he's ever done in his life.  He hates spending money almost as much as he hates crowds and idiots.  I also cannot deal with crowds (or idiots... the spending money part I am fine with), so my mom, my Gran, and I opted for pedicures instead.  We ended up going into Target for some essentials (Coke and magazines), and I did make a quick stop to pick up one of J's presents while it was on major sale but that store was directly next door to the nail salon, so it wasn't bad at all.  After pedicures, we met up with my friend Jesse and her mom, Gina, for lunch.  Gina and my mom met in a Mommy and Me class when Jesse and I were like 18 months old, and we've all been friends ever since.  It is hard to find friends like that, and it was awesome to see them.  We took pictures in the parking lot of Panera to document to the occasion, obviously.

On Saturday morning, Dad and I did another trail run with the dogs.  This time we did a little over 6 miles.  It's almost exactly 3/4 of a mile from their driveway to the trail head, which we walked in each direction, so it was about 4.5 miles of running at approximately 10:00/mile pace.  My Garmin was dead, so I used RunKeeper instead... this time with the sound off.

The dogs were dunzo for the rest of the day, which was awesome.  The chemo really hits my mom about 2 days after getting a dose, so she was pretty wiped.  We made one quick trip to town for craft supplies, then settled in to make Christmas wreaths and watch football all afternoon/night.  We made these letters, which we (i.e. my dad) then attached to wreaths bought from Home Depot.  I am not usually very crafty, but this was super basic and I think it turned out pretty cute.

I left Florida around 12:30 this afternoon and finallllllllly rolled into Columbia about 7:15.  It is normally a 4.5 hour drive, so, yeah, traffic was terrible.  Of course I turned into our driveway just as my audiobook was getting really good, but c'est la vie.  

If you're still reading after all of this... thanks!  Now tell me about your Thanksgiving!

Did you race?  What did you eat? Do you listen to audiobooks when you travel? If so, leave me a recommendation!


  1. That trails looks like running in deep soft sand! Ouch...sore calfs!! Glad you had a good week. Prayers for your mom...I know how difficult that can all be for everyone.

    1. It was kind of like running through a sand dune in a few spots, but not too bad overall. Thanks for the prayers! We need all that we can get!

  2. So sorry to hear about what your mom and your family is going through-- but I'm SO glad you had a nice, long holiday together! Good for you for taking on the holiday meal! The brussel sprouts look great!

    1. It's funny that you mention the sprouts because everyone was VERY unenthused when I said I was making them, and then they ended up being the biggest hit. They're super easy to make. You should try them!