Monday, November 19, 2012

Firsts.

I registered for my first trail race tonight, and I am pretty pumped about it.  On December 15, I will be running the Rudolph's Rampage 10K.  Not gonna lie, Rudolph scares me a little.

Last weekend, J and I ventured out to Harbison State Forest (where the race will be) to revisit our favorite trail from this summer.  We bought a yearly pass, but we stopped using it when training for Georgetown started this summer.  It felt so amazing to get back out there.  And I was shocked at how different the forest looked.  Almost all the leaves were gone from the trees, and there is one part of the trail that runs through a meadow, which was gloriously green this summer, and now it's just brown grass.  The leaves that were left were super colorful, though, so it was still really pretty out there.





So, when we went out there, I forgot my Garmin.  I also forgot my headphones for my phone.  This meant that the only way for me record our pace/distance was to use RunKeeper and just leave the volume turned up so I could hear it announce the mileage.  This seemed like a good plan until we got to the first mile, and I forgot that the RunKeeper lady would be talking to me.  I shrieked, very loudly, and jumped a good 5 feet into the bushes because it scared me so badly.  Luckily J had his head phones in and was far enough in front of me that no one heard or saw... because it happened again at mile 2.

About the last third of a mile, I chicked J, and not wanting to get un-chicked, I booked it to the end.  I thought for sure I was going to eat it so hard because we were flying down a rocky, washed out hill, but I didn't, and it was by far the best part of the run.


I was really hoping to get back out there for little bit today (or yesterday, since it's technically Monday morning now), but J had to work all day and I *might* have been over served (umm, by myself) some sangria on Saturday night.


We had some friends over for dinner, and while I was getting the house ready, I realized that I had all of the ingredients for a sangria, so I whipped one up.  I am not normally a "whip something up" kind of girl - this was definitely a first for me.  I usually need a recipe, and I need it to be very specific.  So, obviously, I was quite proud of myself, and ended up going slightly overboard.  In my defense, J and I decided to watch Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer after dinner, and I need some alcohol to make it through.  Even though this morning was rough, it was delicious, and you should definitely make some.

In case you're interested:

1 bottle of champagne
1 bottle of pinot noir
1 shot of 99 Apples liqueur
1 shot of triple sec
1 shot of Patron
1 Honeycrisp apple, chopped
2 cinnamon sticks

*Combine all the ingredients in a pitcher, stir, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. Sangria. Yum. + Trail running sounds like a fantastic weekend. I keep saying that I am going to get out on the trails more, yet I never seem to make it happen. Just not that convenient, ya know? Looking forward to seeing how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete