Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Runner's Quiz + Race Week

What whattttt... it's Race Week

I am pretty excited for this race, but to be honest, I'm not feeling super confident about meeting my 2 hour goal. I haven't been very consistent about sticking to my training plan, sometimes for legit reasons and other times for less legit ones.  But given that this is only my second half, I'm just looking at it as a learning experience. I've definitely learned some things that I will apply to my next training cycle (i.e. I will not lie to myself and think I can run 5-6 days in a row.  Not happening on this shins.)  Oh, and if I don't do it this weekend, I can always try again on November 3 at the Governor's Cup.  :)

Also, I miiiiight have sustained a moderate injury this weekend at the wedding. I tried dancing in heels (stupid) but gave up after an hour or so and took them off (stupider). I ended up stepping on glass on the dance floor, and I just generally danced my ass off for like 6 hours straight (for real).  It feels like I've bruised the pad on the bottom of my right foot/toes, and it's a bit tender to walk on today. Totally, 100% worth it though... so.much.fun.

_______

Ok, so this running quiz is kind of making the rounds, but since I love running and I love quizzes (it's true, I thought school was awesome) I figured I would try it.


1. Fuel: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy, or other?

Definitely Honey Stinger Chews. Preferably Pink Lemonade. Finding the right fuel has been a long battle for me. I was definitely underfueled during my half in May. I only ate like 3/4 of a bag of sports beans because I just really, really haaaaate gels. I tried to make myself like them, but one time I tried a Strawberry Banana on a long run and it was hot and just so gross and that was the end of GU for me. I was dry heaving for like a mile afterwards. So sick.

2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon, marathon, ultra or other?



Maybe this is a weird choice, but I really like the 10k. It's a good combo of endurance + speed - too far to go all out right from the start, but short enough that you can really push it.

3. Workout bottoms: Running skirt, shorts, capris, tights or other?

TS4L.  Tempo Shorts 4 Life.  I really love my Nikes, but I just bought my first pair of speed shorts from lululemon (thanks J!) and I might be hooked. That is unfortunate given their price tag.

I've never tried the running skirt thing, and it's waaaaay too hot here for like 10 months of the year to run in tights or capris. I did get some sweet running tights for Christmas last year, but I only used them once or twice before I got injured, so we'll see how it goes this winter. Unless it's in the mid-40s or below, I usually just wear shorts + a long sleeve tech tee. And let's get real... if we're getting below freezing, I will be staying inside.

4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, water or other?

I drink plain water exclusively during my runs, but I do love a cold red Gatorade (the cure for [almost] anything that ails you ... well, maybe not, like, SARS or something) or some Nuun before and after. I am a salty sweater for sure, but I really try not to overdo it with sodium, and sports drinks tend to have more than you think.  I'm not convinced that because I'm salty after a run, it means I need more salt. I get plenty (read: too much) in my normal diet and that seems to be enough.  I haven't had an issue with cramps even at the peak of my summer running (see below), so I don't see a reason to change that right now.

5. Running temperatures: Heat or cold?

{Summer in Columbia}

Hot, hot, hot any day of the week. I live in South Carolina... it's not like I have a choice.

6. Running shoe brands: Saucony, Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, Asics or other?

I love my Mizunos. My shin splint issues really decreased once I ditched my old New Balances for these. I'm a fan for life.

7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or other?


Finally got this one figured out too. Honey Wheat English Muffin + PB + banana slices + Tupelo honey (preferably from the actual Tupelo Honey in Asheville). Usually with 16oz of Nuun to wash it down, as discussed above.

8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or other?

We all know I am the Queen of Rest Days. Usually 2 full rest days per week plus one cross training day for yoga or barre or an NTC workout.

9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?

I surprised myself on this one. The first time I had to go without music was because I couldn't find my headphones, and I was sure I was going to be the mayor of Miz City. But... it really wasn't that bad. These days I tend to do at least once a week without any type of "entertainment." I still want music for races, but I also love my zombie runs and recently I started listening to audiobooks on some of my longer runs as well. My first pick was Bossypants, which actually turned out to be kind of a mistake... breathing gets even harder than usual when you are laughing uncontrollably at the genius that is Tina Fey. Also, people tend to look at you strangely when you're running along LOLing to yourself.

10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or other?

Easy. All of the above. What started out as a weight loss thing very quickly reignited my love of competing/having a sport in which to participate. (Sorry, the English major in me would not allow myself to end on a preposition.) The stress relief and endorphins are also addicting. The cupcakes (or in my case, Swedish fish) are a bonus.

BAM.  There you have it.  Leave your answers in the comments if you'd like!

1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK this weekend!!! I hope you have an awesome race!!! (Also, I thought I hurt my IT a few weeks ago after running 15 miles then dancing all night! Worth it ;)

    ReplyDelete