Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reboot.

There are 4 weeks left before Georgetown, and I'm realizing that my plan needs to be reworked.  I've got issues...

1. One rest day is not cutting it.  I've been taking extra days to keep the shins calmed down anyway, so might as well address that in the schedule.

2. I've finally found a really great cross-training/strength class that I love, so I want to make sure I have time for that each week.  (It's this barre class, and it is AWESOME.  I get so sweaty and it's a great workout.  My glutes really need some work, and this class definitely gives me that.)  

3.  The 10 mile race that I was planning to run this weekend has been canceled, so that's kind of a bummer.  However, it leaves me with an extra week in the schedule, so now I'll have time for a cutback week/mini taper.

4.  We've got a big wedding the weekend before the race which requires us to be in Charleston on Thursday night.  I was thinking that I'd get up on Friday and do my long run, but Thursday night is a bar crawl for the wedding party/out-of-towners, so let's get real... I'm gonna want to participate.  So, I'm moving that week's long run to Wednesday. 

Taking all of that into consideration, here's the plan for last few weeks of training.

8
8m
Rest
Barre
4.5m run
3m run
5m pace
10 m
9
Rest
5m run
1 mi + 10x hills + 1 mi
3m run
5m pace
11m run
Rest
10
Rest
5m run
Barre
45 min tempo
5m pace
12m run
Rest
11
3m run
5m run
Barre
9m run
1 mi + 10x hills + 1 mi
Rest
Rest
12
3m pace
4m run
2m run
Rest
Rest
RACE DAY!


Yesterday I did a 4m pace run.  Not shockingly, I went out too fast and positive split the crap out of this one.  Part of that was on purpose... I wanted to keep the run in the 8:50-9:00 range (since, you know, that's the pace I'm aiming for and that's the point of this run).  I felt great the first 2.5 miles and then hit some hillier bits and couldn't have held on to the 8:35ish pace anyway.  Definitely something to remember when I'm on the start line in Georgetown.


In non-running news, J and I went to see Beasts of the Southern Wild this weekend, and I looooved it.  The little girl who plays Hushpuppy is absolutely amazing.  So much so that I'm not sure the movie would even have been possible without her - it would have been entirely different.  If you get a chance to see this one, definitely do it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You can also think about cutting your long run back even further the week before the race. It might make it easier to squeeze in before work on Wednesday. You could cut it back as far as to 6 miles and still probably be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was wondering how far I could take it back... that definitely makes things easier.

      Delete