Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dreadlocks and Rainy Runs.

So fall happened this week in Columbia.  Yes, it is supposed to be back to around 90 degrees later this week, but there has been a definite change in the weather.  It's cool in the mornings and in the evenings.  I can run without feeling like I'm swimming through the air with all of the humidity.  In short, it is awesome.

Last Monday, I was planning to do an easy long-ish run but it started raining on me, which was actually awesome, until my left shoe started rubbing and opened up a very uncomfortable blister on my ankle.  I decided that 5 miles was enough, and called it a night.  


I had straightened my hair that morning, so when I left on the run my hair was stick straight.  Rain/humidity/sweat do very bad things to my hair, however, so when I returned, my pony tail looked like this.

{Rat's nest.}

I actually had to cut the elastic out of my hair because it had expanded so much,  I couldn't get it out without ripping hair.  And that rat's nest took me a good 30 minutes to comb out in the shower.  The middle part on the inside of the tangles wasn't wet, so it was really hard to get conditioner in there to help untangle it.  It was like one giant dreadlock. The worst.  And this is not the first time this has happened.  Basically any time I run with my hair curly/natural, I get a nasty uni-dread.  Does anyone else have this issue or is this a personal problem?  Maybe I need to start braiding my ponytail?

1 comment:

  1. I would have the biggest rats nest in my hair...even when it isn't that hot out. So I started braiding my ponytail about 3 years ago and NEVER run without it braided. (even the little tail below the elastic on the braid gets rats nesty)!!

    ReplyDelete