Thursday, August 16, 2012

Georgetown HM: Weeks 2 & 3

I'm way behind on my weekly recaps.  I barely even remember Week 2, except for the 5K to end the week, but I think it was pretty uneventful.  Week 3, however, was a bit of a doozy.

I started the week with some strength training using the Nike Training Club app.  I did a butt workout that was one of the worst decisions of my whole life.  I was SO beyond sore for days afterward that I could barely walk.  I had planned my rest days for Thursday and Sunday.  As it turned out, I needed my rest days on Tuesday and Wednesday for my buns to recover, so I made some rearrangements.  

My favorite run of the week was the 3 mile pace run I did on Saturday morning.  I wasn't real sure how it was gonna go because I didn't have anything to eat before I left the house (J's stepmom made a ridiculously delicious brunch when I got back) and it was already blazing hot at 9am when I set out.  I started out on the road, running past all of these amazing beachside/creekside houses and ended up doing the last mile on the beach.  

{The view from our bedroom.  Not too shabby.}

The first half mile was kind of a struggle but then I hit my stride and the rest of the run flew by.  In order to run a 1:59:xx, I need to hit at least 9:05/mi.  I'd like to run more like the 8:55-9:00 range, and my average pace on this run ended up at 8:56, so I was very happy with that.


I didn't want to spend any of our last few hours of beach time doing my long run, so I waited until we got back to Cola.  I had to settle for 5.5 miles as it was getting dark fast.  


I'm kind of undecided about long run paces.  I know the traditional wisdom is to do them very slowly, but I'm not 100% convinced that's a good idea for me.  My legs can't take a ton of miles, so I like to make the most of them.  Anyway, for now my strategy is just to let my legs decide... I'm trying to focus more on effort and breathing rate and to stop checking my Garmin constantly.

In other news, I registered for the Kill the Hills 10 miler this week!  That should be an interesting one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment