Sunday, July 8, 2012

Florida Fourth.

I decided to make the most of the weird mid-week holiday and take off for Florida on Tuesday night.  Our family has use of a condo in New Smyrna Beach and I hadn't been down there since law school, so I was excited to get down there again.  The weather ended up being absolutely perfect - hot, but with a breeze, and no rain.  My grandparents just live a short drive away, in Titusville, so they came over for a few days too.  It's extremely rare for me to get to have the attention of both my parents and grandparents all to myself - no other kids/grandkids/significant others around - so that was pretty awesome.



We were treated to an amazing fireworks show and an incredible moon rise over the ocean on the Fourth.








On Friday afternoon we went back to Jacksonville.  J drove down from Columbia to pick me up (I flew into Orlando on Tuesday), and he brought the dogs for the weekend.  They were very serious about their co-captain duties.


In between all of the beaching, boating, and fireworking, I did manage to get in three runs.  I did 4 miles with my mom following me on her bike on Thursday.  It was horribly hot and the route wasn't shady at all, so I felt kind of terrible, but I managed to hold a 9:07 average pace, so I was happy with that.  On Friday, I finally took Corey's advice about exercising early, and my dad and I knocked out about 3.5 easy miles down on the beach.  It was fun just to run and chat with him, and I didn't even take my watch, so I have no idea what our pace was.  Then on Saturday, Mom, Dad, J, and I took the pups (they have a dog too) on the trail by their house that goes down to the river.  It's about 3 miles round trip once you're on the trail, and probably another 2 miles to get to and from the house, so we were all good and sweaty by the time we got home.

If you follow me on Twitter, you maybe saw that I signed up for 2 races recently.  I'm gonna be running the Bridge 2 Bridge Half in Georgetown in October, and I forgot that I had a free entry for the Columbia Half in March 2013 (because I had to defer last year).  Sooo, that means that this week is my last week of no-plan running.  I'm working on a 12 week plan for Bridge 2 Bridge that will start next Monday.  Exciting!  

How was your Fourth of July?  Any new races on your calendars?

No comments:

Post a Comment