Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Zombieeeeeeessss!

Even though I'm not technically training right now, I still want to be doing some speed/interval workouts, so when Jess wrote about the Zombies, Run! app, I knew I wanted to try it.  It sounded like a fun way to work in some speed and just generally entertain myself since my current running playlist is getting a little old. 



It works on the iPhone or iPod touch, and the website says that an Android version is coming out next week.  It's $8 for the app, wayyyyy more than I've ever paid for one before, but in the world of running gear, that's a drop in the bucket, so I figured why not.  For your $8, you get 22 "story missions" and 7 "supply missions" as part of Season 1.  I believe the 7 supply missions are designed for you to replay.  (It appears that more missions will be released at a later date as Season 2.  Also, they are working on paid extras like Beginner 5K and Interval Training add-ons, which sounds cool.)  

As expected, it's awesome and totally worth the price.

The premise is that there's been a zombie apocalypse, and you're on some kind of supply/recon mission to a base called Abel Township when your helicopter is shot down.  You become Runner 5, part of a team of runners that help supply and defend the base.  You have to evade zombie mobs, perform missions, and make it safely back to the town.  As you run, you pick up supplies which you can then distribute once you get back to base.  

The app tracks distance and pace, and before you start your run, you can choose a playlist from your iTunes to play in between the bits of the story.  The default setting is for missions to be about 30-40 mins long, but you can change that so they take about an hour if you're doing a longer run.  (It will play two songs in between the story instead of just one.)  Also, if you just want to go for an easy/recovery run, you can turn the zombie chases off.


And if you aren't up for some serious sprinting, you definitely want the zombie chases turned off.  I sprinted my little tush off last night, and I still got caught once.  (Like, I was seriously sprinting... my watch was giving me numbers in the 6:xx range, which is ABSURD for me.)  The sprints last about 60 seconds, so plan your route well... the zoms caught me during an uphill section, and I won't make that mistake again.  

My one complain is that, as far as I can figure out, the app does some kind of calculation to figure out how fast it wants you to run to evade the zombie mobs, but it doesn't display that figure anywhere for you.  I assume it's based on how fast you've been doing the rest of your run, but I don't know.  Other than that, I'm hooked!

So basically, if you want to run around grinning like an idiot, laughing at yourself, and checking over your shoulder for zombies, you should buy this app.


*No one from Zombies, Run! asked me to write this post or is giving me anything in return for doing so.  I'm telling you about it because it's awesome, and I like sharing awesome things with my friends.  That is all.


1 comment:

  1. haha! I have been hearing alot about this App lately from Twitter and other blogs. What a fun way to get in speed work when you are not actually training. I love that the "zombies caught you" on an uphill. heehee...

    ReplyDelete