Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Heat Wave.

So here is the forecast for the next 5 days...


{WTF, Mother Nature?!?}

This upcoming weekend was supposed to be my first "long run" (7-8 miles) of my yet-to-be-determined-half-marathon training cycle.  But, yeah, that's not happening.

I mean, I grew up in Florida playing soccer year round.  I can exercise my little tush off in the heat and humidity (and I actually kind of like it), but I don't think I've EVER seen a forecast of 108... and that's the LOW end.  The weather app on my iPad is predicting 113.  I'm really stymied by the situation, actually.  I don't think I've ever felt it was too hot/dangerous for me to run before.

I did get in two runs this week.  On Tuesday, I did 5 easy-ish (and snake free) miles back at the river.  I wanted them to be near HMGP, which is like the 9:00-9:10 range.  After a slightly slower first mile, I ended up with an average pace right in the middle.


Yesterday, I went for 3 slow miles around my neighborhood.  I really wanted to go longer since I won't be doing that this weekend, but I just couldn't get it together.  I could tell I was dehydrated all day long even though I was drinking, and my toes started cramping up right before I left the house.  As always though, I was glad I got out there and ran, even if it was a slog.


So what do y'all do when it gets too hot to run?  I guess I'm gonna get really bendy and go to a lot of yoga for the next five days.  If I wake up early enough on Saturday or Sunday, I might try a few miles, but we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even try to run in the heat of the day. I think the only way to run in this weather is to get up and get it done before about 8 a.m. I know getting up early stinks, but it is sub-80 degrees, which is still hot and humid, but if that was the high in the day, we would be fine right?! I recommend getting up early and giving it a try...that is what you have to do on race day after all right?! (P.S. You eventually get used to running the sleepy fog that comes from getting up that early, but it takes a little while!)

    ReplyDelete