Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Best Laid Plans...

So remember how one of my goals in 2012 is to run a full marathon?  Well, my plan was for that to be the Marine Corps Marathon in DC in October.  Registration opened today, and sadly, sold out within TWO HOURS... before I could even get home from work to do it!  Gah.  Definitely was not expecting that.

So.  I need some suggestions for other good fall marathons.  I'm looking for something in the October to December time frame, and the weekend of November 3 (RnR Savannah) is out because it's J's five year Citadel reunion/homecoming.  Also, I'd like for the race to be on the East Coast, and preferably within driving distance.

Right now I'm thinking about Seven Bridges, Thunder Road, or Kiawah.  Or more likely, picking one of the first two options, with Kiawah as a back up in case I totally blow up.

Have any of y'all run one of these?  Any thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about Seven Bridges or Thunder Road (except that I know its in Charlotte and hilly), but I did Kiawah 2 years ago and it is a good small race. It would only be 2 hours away for you too! The only downside is that the course is 2 loops of the half marathon, which is kind of boring. If you aren't averse to a hilly course, there is always the Sphinx Runfest Marathon in Greenville the last weekend in October. Good luck! Tough decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read on Kiawah's FB page that they are very close to having a new, one loop course certified! So if they do that, I think will try that one. I've heard good things about it from several people. The one in Chatanooga sounds pretty cool too though.

      Delete
  2. UUgh I am so annoyed about Marine Corps selling out in two hours, I had really wanted to try it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwww! I was super bummed... I expected it to sell out within a day or so, and I had it marked on my calendar for WEEKS to make sure I went straight home to register. Lesson learned! I will be on it next year!

      Delete