Sunday, January 15, 2012

Update.

So last Monday after Crossfit, I finally caved to the pain in my shins.  We only did 3 x 400 and I could barely stand to walk afterwards.  One of my friends at there, who is also a doctor, checked me out and told me that I have one spot on my left leg that is "borderline stress fracture."  I really need an x-ray to confirm, but I just started a new job this week, so I don't have any time off.  (Why do doctors not work past 5:00pm??)  And the truth is, whether it's a fracture or just severe shin splints, the prescription is basically the same: don't run for 6-8 weeks.  I'm still trying to get to the doc, but for now I'm not running at all.  I took 5 days completely off from all exercise, but by yesterday afternoon, I couldn't stand it anymore.  I HAD to get moving somehow, so I took my bike down to the river to get my sweat on.


Let me just say... biking sucksssssss.  Did any of y'all watch the Olympic Marathon Trials yesterday?  Well, the top 3 guys ran approximately 4:55 min/mi (yes, for 26.2 miles).  The top 3 women ran approximately 5:31 min/mi.  My fastest mile on the bike was 5:01.  So yeah... I can't even BIKE a marathon as fast as those peeps can RUN one.  Not that I went 26.2 miles... I went 5 plus a half mile warm up and a mile cool down.


Nevertheless, biking got me sweaty and made my thighs ache, so it's all good.  After the ride, I finished up with 30 push ups, 30 sit ups, 30 triceps dips, and 2 plank holds for 1 minute each.  (I need some serious help with my core strength).  And best of all, none of this made my legs hurt.



At this point, I just want to be able to race.  The half-marathon is 9 weeks from now.  I'm hoping that if I'm smart about letting my leg heal, I can at least run it, even if I have to give up my goal of running under 2 hours.  


So that's that.  Any of y'all ever had a stress fracture?  How did you stay active while you it healed?

2 comments:

  1. bummer, lady! I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you heal quickly! And I share your exasperation about doctors... so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad for you! There is nothing worse than having an injury keep you from doing what you love! I hope you still get to race. Also, have you thought about one of those stand alone ER's or prompt care places? I think they have more flexible hours and some of them can do x-rays, tc. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete