Sunday, January 8, 2012

Long Run: 8 Miles.

The run today was 8 miles and it was supposed to be race pace + 20s.  My coaches told me to do 9:23, but I did that for the first mile and it felt really slow, so I bumped it down to 9:05ish because MY race pace goal is 8:45ish pace.  I did pretty well with the exception of Mile 6-7.  At that point it felt like everything went wrong at once... my hips tightened up and my shorts chafed my legs to the point of drawing blood.  (Yay, Thunder Thighs!)  But I pushed through it and finished up under 9:00 minutes, so I felt alright about it.


Jimmy mapped my route out for me and it ended up being a pretty good one.  I ran down Main Street to the Statehouse, through USC and back.  I snapped this while I was waiting for the light to change.

{SC Statehouse}

Did you have a long run planned this weekend?  How did it go?

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Great job! Your average pace ended up nearly EXACTLY what you were aiming for! That's a success! Did you end up stashing water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, lady! My "long" run got sidelined this weekend because we were babysitting for our niece and nephew overnight. By the time I was done I was exhausted and sore, so it seems to have been the equivilent of a work out! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Corey - I did stash water and it ended up being fine. I felt kind of bad though bc even though I passed it twice, I drank less than half the bottle and I didn't know what to do with it other than toss it. I think I need to look into a fuel belt, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stand one.

    @Jill - Extended babysitting is definitely more work than 8 miles! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use Body Glide for the thigh problem- it works great and you can use it on your feet to prevent blisters.

    ReplyDelete