Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tempo Run: Riverfront Edition

On today's agenda was a 5 mile short tempo run.  Since I had such a problem pacing myself last week in DC, I was really looking forward to running down by the canal/river with miles of stoplight-free paths.  





But as it turns out, my pacing problems had much more to do with my reading comprehension skills than the downfalls of city running.


See... I downloaded a running app that displays my pace and lets me track my splits.  The problem is that it's an average pace.  To anyone with a brain, the word "average" would give it away... yeah, except I thought that meant the average pace for the mile you're currently running, not the average across all miles total.  Durh.  That's what splits are for, Lindsey.


So that explains why I've been feeling like I'm KILLING myself on these short tempo runs.  The plan was to start off with a slow 10:20ish mile, then speed up to around 8:46 for the next 3 miles.  But I haven't been able to get my "pace" to go down to the 8:40-50 range without me feeling like I am at an all-out sprint.  Because yeah, if my first mile is 10:20, then I had to run 7:30 on mile 2 to get to an 8:45 AVERAGE.  


Fortunately, I figured all of this out today around mile 1.5.  Unfortunately, it didn't help that much because I still ran too fast.  I really need to slow my roll and enjoy the scenery more.



Mile 1 - 10:04
Mile 2 - 8:01 
Mile 3 - 8:19
Mile 4 - 8:04
Mile 5 - 9:42

Wayyyyyy too fast. Oopsie.  

2 comments:

  1. Too fast? Maybe. But if you can keep those paces for that long of a distance, maybe it isn't "too fast" and you are just faster than you think?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. I think it's a combination of both things - my goal times need to be adjusted because I can go faster than I thought, but for the sake of my calves and knees, I also need to slow down and let my body get used to running this much again. I've run more miles in the past two weeks than I have in the last 5 years combined! My legs are very angry with me this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete