Thursday, December 1, 2011

12/1: Intervals

Oh man, today was my first scheduled training run for the half marathon I'm doing in March.  I was really nervous about it because I'm basing all of my training paces off of my best 5K time... which was run in Florida (in other words, the route was gloriously flat and fast).  Columbia is surprisingly hilly, so I wasn't really sure if I'd be able to stick to pace when you factor in hills.  


So here's the workout:


10 min warm up
12 x 400 at 1:57 pace + 90 sec RI
Cool down


And guess what?  I ran at or better than my goal pace for 10 out 12 intervals.  Bam!


1:51, 1:53, 1:52, 1:54, 1:52, 1:53, 1:55, 1:55, 158: 1:57, 1:58, 1:54.


Honestly, I probably ran a little too fast.  I tried to figure out how to adjust down to stick closer to 1:57, but it just wasn't happening, so I let my legs do what they wanted to do.  I was seriously sucking wind by the end of it, but I was proud of myself for hitting my pace.  (Howwwww did I ever run the 400m in high school track?  I ran that shizz in 64 seconds one time.  Oh to be 17 again.)


So that's what I did for exercise today.  


This is what Penny did (for hoursssss... poor Charlie): 


video

3 comments:

  1. The interval workouts are definitely the toughest! And that is an especially long one to start with for your first one! Great job!! You crushed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad to hear you say that's a long one... Our coaches only post 2 workouts at a time, so I didn't really have anything to compare this one to.

    ReplyDelete