Monday, November 28, 2011

Race Report: Subaru Distance Classic 6k

What better way to start a running blog than with a race report?  Especially a race report for a distance I've never run before, and thus, an automatic PR!


On Thanksgiving morning, my dad, J and I got up around 5:30 and headed up into Jacksonville for the Subaru Distance Classic.  We found a parking spot pretty easily and followed the crowd to the starting line.  It was cold while we were waiting, but the temperature felt perfect once we started moving.  The 6k and half marathon started together, and the gun went off right at 7am, which was awesome.  


What was not awesome was that there was no room to run.  This wasn't THAT big of a race, and it still took me almost a minute to cross the mats and the way I was moving at that point could only barely be referred to as jogging.  Anyway, things cleared out nicely once the half marathoners split off, and after that it was smooth sailing.  The 6k course was entirely residential, and there weren't tons of spectators, but it was fun to see some people sitting outside in lawn chairs, waving at us.



Just when it felt like I was getting into a good rhythm, I saw the sign for Mile 13 (the half marathon course eventually rejoined the 6k course), so I knew I only had .1 miles to go, and I sprinted for the finish.  And BOOM... here we are, sweaty, and happy, and finished. :)

My goal was to finish in 30 mins, and I made it by the skin of my teeth.  According to the official results, I finished in 29:59, J finished in 25:52, and Dad finished in 38:38.  My sweet Dad had never run more than 2.5 miles before this, and he did awesome.  I was super proud!




 *Yes, I know blacking out our last names is probably dumb given all of the the ways you could find out if you wanted to, but... it makes my mama feel better.  
(Hey mom!)

PS - I tried to get my track my splits using iMapMyRun on my iPhone... I swear it has given me split info before, but since the last time I updated, I can't find it any more.  If y'all can tell me how to find it or if you have another app you suggest, I'd love to hear it.

3 comments:

  1. oh yay! I didn't know you had started a running blog! Now that I am hooked on running too I will be reading this regularly as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I figured it would be a good way to keep of my training and keep myself accountable. We need to figure out a fun race to run together!

    ReplyDelete